Happily, my weekend included a trip to an egg farm so omelets were on the menu last night. While left-overs are my number one "go to" when I'm in need of a quick and easy meal, omelets run a very close second. They're healthy, satisfying, easy to prepare and fun to make. Perfect for a work-weary Diva and her hungry husband!
Though, truth be told, its the husband who makes the omelets in this house - as you may recall. I wrote about omelets last summer and the recipe remains the same. We use Alton Brown's formula and you can find it at the bottom of this post from June of 2008. Today, I'll tell you about the filling ...
Divalicious Omelet Filling:
- olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped crimini (baby bello) mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and diced
- a pinch of dried Summer Savory or fresh Thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a generous grating of fresh nutmeg
- some grated Gruyere cheese
- some diced ham
Use reserved vegetable mixture to fill omelets, along with some shredded Gruyere cheese and a bit of diced ham if desired. As written, this mixture will fill two omelets.
I like to serve them with a side of sauteed haricot vert ... and I'll tell you all about that ... tomorrow. Stay tuned!
So, what's your recipe for dinner in a flash? Hungry Diva wants to know.