Monday, May 17, 2010

Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake



How's about a little something healthy today? Something rich and chocolaty and satisfying ... without any guilt!

This month, 5 Star Foodie Culinary Adventures' Make-Over Challenge is all about smoothies and shakes. Yum, I'm in! Natasha has asked us to submit a recipe for a smoothie or shake with a twist. Eligible entries include: malts, floats, shakes, smoothies, frappes, and more. Basically, any kind of chilled, blended drink will qualify and you are limited only by your imagination.

Entries are due by Sunday, June, 6th and the round-up will be posted Monday, June 7th. Oh, and there's a fabulous prize too - a HealthMaster Blender. How exciting! Pop on over to 5 Star's place and read the rules if you'd like to enter.

For my first entry, I've made a protein-rich shake that's sure to sure to satisfy. I've replaced the ice cream with a combination of silken tofu and Greek yogurt, and gilded the lily by flavoring it with my favorite combination ... chocolate and peanut butter. What could be better?!

Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake:
  • 2/3 cup plain, unsweetened, soy milk
  • 2 oz. lite silken tofu
  • 3 oz. plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter*
  • 2 or 3 teaspoons agave nectar, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 or 2 ice cubes, cracked
  • dash of ground cinnamon, optional
Combine all ingredients in blender and mix/blend on high until thick and creamy. Pour into a glass and serve.

* In this case, I used some agave sweetened peanut butter made by Earth Balance. If you're unable to find agave peanut butter, opt for the natural, unsweetened stuff, so as to keep the sugar in check.

This is a luscious, creamy shake that's just perfect for breakfast, a mid-afternoon snack, or dessert. It has all of the flavor of a traditional ice cream shake, minus the guilt, plus a healthy protein punch that will keep you full and happy. I'd say that's a winning equation ... and it looks like Diva Cat Lucy thinks so too!

Stay tuned for a possible second shake later in the week - I just might be offering an adult version for Thirsty Thursdays.

And speaking of adult beverages ... the Manhattan Cocktail Classic Gala was amazing! I had a blast ... though sadly there are no pictures to prove it. The space, while dramatically lit, was rather dark and my camera just doesn't cut it in low light. Suffice it to say, a good time was had by all and I'm already looking forward to next year's event! Hit up this link if you'd like some visuals. (I'm not in any of the photos, but you'll get a sense of the night.)

So, what's your favorite kind of shake? Hungry Diva wants to know.

Bon appetite!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

A healthy chocolate peanut butter shake??? Can there really be such a thing? Let me at it!!!!!
*kisses* HH

Catherine said...

Wow what a wonderful shake! So delicious!
Cheers~

Mary Bergfeld said...

I never would have though of this combination but it really looks and sounds delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

words...words...words... said...

This sounds delicious! I will eat anything that has chocolate and peanut butter in it. Any. Thing.

Daily Spud said...

Healthy + chocolate + peanut butter - all in the one glass? Count me in!

Holly said...

Looks yummy-Chocolate Peanut butter-YUM!!

Laura said...

Oh DIVA!! Wow when you go all out you go all out. Thanks for sharing on Just Another Meatless Monday! I can't wait to see what you bring to the table next week.

And yes I'll take your camera out and shoot it when I do mine.

pixelgal said...

As you know peanut butter is a major staple in my diet and combined with chocolate---and you say it's healthy! How could anyone go wrong making this? I also love smoothies with fruit. Yummm.

Sara said...

be still my heart, I might just have all of the ingredients for this. It actually sounds good for a healthy thing ;)

Mo Diva said...

it looks like a silky shake! i love them taht way! awesome idea adding the greek yogurt!

stephchows said...

man this looks good!! and an adult shake??? you got me interested!

Molly said...

Great idea to put the silken tofu and cocoa powder in!

I only allow myself one shake a year.....a Shamrock Shake from McDonald's! And I cherish every sip.

The Duo Dishes said...

Haven't tried using tofu in a shake or salad dressing or any other recipe. It's time to give it a try.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad the tofu didn't scare anyone off so far! It really is delicious and you can't taste the tofu at all, I promise. :)

Molly - I'm having a little giggle at the Shamrock Shake ... we all need a little treat now and then! You have remarkable control for keeping it to once a year.

Delicious Dishings said...

This looks really creamy and delicious. I'm not sure I could be convinced to add the silken tofu... it's probably one of few things I'm not a fan of. But maybe you don't notice it combined with everything else? Love the other components! I tend to make smoothies with chocolate soymilk, yogurt, pb, and a sliced frozen banana.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Megan - I like to add the tofu for the extra protein and for the texture, it makes the shake thick and creamy. You can't taste it at all. But I do get that it may not be for everyone. :)

Tangled Noodle said...

You managed to hit all the keywords: Healthy. Chocolate. Peanut Butter (even if I can't have). Shake. I'm in! But you've piqued my interest: what lovely, luscious grown-up version do you have in mind for Thirsty Thursday? 8-)

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like an incredible shake, totally decadent and divalicious!

Anonymous said...

This pb chocolate shake looks so decadent and I love that it is healthy! I need to get some silken tofu to try for my shakes too! Yum! I love the chocolate bourbon shake also, it's perfectly indulgent! Thank you so much for sending them to the 5 Star Makeover, I will feature both in the roundup!