Friday, December 3, 2010

Thirsty Thursdays: Festive Friday Edition



Yes, I do realize that its Friday today, but as we're kicking off the holiday cocktail party season, it only seems fitting to toast the weekend with a festive libation.

Last week, the Diva Family Thanksgiving celebration began with a lovely little sipper that's just perfect for any holiday gathering. I'd like to share it with you today.

This ruby red beauty features a seasonally appropriate mix of pomegranate juice and champagne (or sparkling wine), spiced with a subtle hint of ginger and mellowed with just a bit of orange juice.

Pomegranate Champagne Cocktail:
  • 2 cups pure pomegranate juice (such as POM Wonderful)
  • 4 tablespoons ginger syrup *
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 bottle of Champagne or sparkling wine
  • some pomegranate seeds (arils) for garnish
In a small pitcher, combine the pomegranate juice and ginger syrup, whisking well with a small wire whisk to combine. Add the orange juice and stir to blend.

Fill a champagne flute 1/3 full with pomegranate mixture, then top with Champagne to fill. Garnish with a few pomegranate arils if desired. Serve and enjoy, repeat as necessary!

*A brief note about the ginger syrup: I used bottled ginger syrup (see above link), though you could certainly make your own simple syrup and infuse it with some fresh ginger, if you're feeling enterprising. If not, avail yourself of the bottled ginger syrup - its wonderful stuff.

Of course we did have turkey ...

and all the trimmings as well.


While the turkey was the star of the show, the pomegranate cocktail was a close second! Why it even received the Mama Diva Seal of Approval, so you know it must be good. I hope you'll try it for your next holiday brunch or cocktail party.

Cheers!

17 comments:

pixelgal said...

I want to be the first to comment on this wonderful drink. Those of you who know me know that there are not many drinks that pass my inspection or my lips for that matter. But this one was so great!!! I actually had seconds. In addition to the delicious meal cooked by the Diva and husband, I hope this continues to be a staple. Heck I may just throw caution to the wind and have some for our Christmas as well!

Love you,
XXXXOOOO

Elle Sees said...

oh a fried turkey is my FAVE. have u had one? yours turned out lovely.

Unknown said...

What a fabulous Thanksgiving turkey! Wishing you and your family a very happy holiday season.
*kisses* HH

Michelle B said...

Doesn't matter to me what day it is. I could/would drink this any day of the week!

Mo Diva said...

i would def dig that cocktail! I can just walk over and borrow ginger syrup. dont make my life difficult woman. lol jk

your spread looks amazing!

(we used an indoor electric deep fryer)

The Diva on a Diet said...

pixelgal - so glad you liked it and, yes, lets do it for Christmas too!

Elle - funny, when I loaded the picture, I thought my bird looked fried too ... but it wasn't. It was roasted to a deep mahogany! It may look dark, but it was succulent and juicy. :)

HH - Thanks! And a warm and happy holiday season to you and yours as well. Hope all is merry and bright! xoxoxo

MM - you're right, no need to wait for a special occasion, this would be good any time!

Mo - c'mon over! Oh, and bring some champagne, will you? We finished ours! LOL and j/k Mwah!

Fresh Local and Best said...

I like your idea for your champagne cocktail: tart sweet and spicy.

Stevie said...

D

This cocktail sounds so extra good!!! I love it and wish that I had a whole pitcher right now.

Lyndsay Wells said...

Your turkey looks AMAZING! I can't wait to try this drink.

easy picnic recipes said...

wow! what a delicious recipe! I just love it :)

Laura said...

love love love the pink fizzy! Ohhhh wish I had one right now. Well my dear Diva I miss you like crazy and can't wait to see you again!

Recipes of Gulzar said...

Hi

Great information in this post and I think great recipe and there are many people want to make this dish.

SKIP TO MALOU said...

I thirst for this cocktail right now... sharing it with friends instead of being in my lonesome in this virtual world

Zubaida tariq cooking show said...

HI

This type of recipes are so delicious and there are many people like this type of recipes and they want to make at homes.

Unknown said...

Lovely Blog!
Barbaraxx

the boot said...

mm that cocktail sounds delish! and healthy!
-marissa

Chris said...

You haven't updated in a while. I know it's probably been busy during the holiday season and all, but your readers miss your writing. Come back to us with more entries. puh-lease! Thanks.