com-ple-ment [n. kom-pluh-muhnt; v. kom-pluh-ment]
1. something that completes or makes perfect
Everyone loves a compliment and cheese is no exception ... except that what cheese *really* loves is a complement.
Sweet and Savory Blueberry Conserve:
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries, rinsed and picked over
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. fruit vinegar (such as raspberry or fig)
- 1 tbsp. pure honey
- 1 tbsp. agave nectar
- 2 tsp. minced fresh orange or lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh orange or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. minced red onion or shallot
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- pinch of Kosher salt
- generous grating of fresh black pepper
- 8 to 10 large basil leaves, crushed a bit between your palms
As written this recipe will yield about 1 cup of conserve, give or take.
Strange combination? Indeed. But yummy to be sure. Its the result of a trip through my fridge and the need to use up some blueberries and basil. The finished jam will not taste strongly of basil, but its there like a soft whisper in the background. Blueberries and citrus have a natural affinity, so feel free to use either orange or lemon here - and the red onion or shallots will offer just enough bite to keep things interesting.
Think of this conserve as you would a cranberry sauce. It would be marvelous when paired with some grilled pork or chicken; and equally good as a topper for a turkey sandwich. When paired with a luscious, creamy Camembert (as seen above) or a tart goat's milk cheese it is outstanding!
A quality Camembert is delicious on its own to be sure, but why not guild the lily? Cheese and fruit is a classic combo - and cheese paired with a fruit conserve is classic writ large. Like really, really LARGE.
So, do you like to complement your cheese? Or do you prefer to just tell it its' pretty and leave it at that? Hungry Diva wants to know.