Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thirsty Thursdays: Recycling Edition

You don't need me to tell you that green is the new black. Reduce, reuse, recycle, repurpose - this is a trend with legs for days. This much, we know. But, did you know that watermelon is the new strawberry?

Or, at least it is here in Divaland today. Why? Because its hot; because its summer; because its watermelon season ... and mostly because Elderflower Liqueur comes in a really BIG bottle.

The Watermelon Blossom:
  • 1 1/2 oz. good quality gin
  • 1 1/2 oz. St. Germain elderflower liqueur
  • 1 1/2 oz. of fresh watermelon puree (see below)
  • a bit of plain seltzer for topping up
Place approximately 4 cups of fresh watermelon, seeded and cut into large chunks, into a blender and puree on high until smooth and liquefied. You may need to stop once or twice to push down the fruit, but it will liquify quickly.

Place some ice in a martini shaker and over it pour the gin, elderflower liqueur and watermelon puree. Shake well, until the shaker frosts, and strain into an ice filled tumbler or rocks glass. Garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve and enjoy, repeat as necessary!

The elderflower liqueur blends so beautifully with the fresh watermelon. Its a match made in heaven; creating a light, refreshing late summer sipper. Be forewarned, the drink is on the sweet side, due to the watermelon. If you'd like to tone it down a bit, squeeze in a wedge of lime before serving. For those desirous of a non-alcohaulic version, simply blend some of the fresh watermelon puree with a bit of plain seltzer and some mint, a dash of lemon or lime and bottom's up!

Obviously, this drink is badly in need of a spot of green. Indeed, I had every intention of throwing a handful of mint into the blender while pureeing the melon (which, by the way, I think would be outstanding) and garnishing with a sprig. The lack of contrast bothers me so much, I was sorely tempted to swap in this picture of the original gin blossom instead.

The better angels of my nature prevailed.

Sadly, when I reached into my herb drawer for the fresh mint, the once green bunch had turned a decidedly unappealing shade of ... black. Go figure.

Cheers!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE watermelon!!!!

The Duo Dishes said...

We can drink watermelon juice on its own, so if it's blended and in a cocktail, we are definitely in.

Anonymous said...

This watermelon cocktail sounds delish!

The Diva on a Diet said...

HH - you sound like my husband! Personally, I can take it or leave it ... though if its mixed with gin ... :)

Duo - honestly, you're right, its good enough just on its own. Nice to have the option for the adult version when desired.

5 Star - this is another one that's good for the whole family, what with the virgin version and all. Cheers!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You are my hero, what time does cocktail hour start? = )

nora@ffr said...

just perfect for this hot summer!! water melons are one of my favorite fruit :)

The Diva on a Diet said...

Katherine - generally, around noon on Thursdays! ;)

nora - I had a feel the watermelon would be popular. Thanks! :)

Melissa Good Taste said...

Hot damn this sounds good!

Astra Libris said...

I love the idea of a watermelon cocktail! SO perfect for summer!

Anonymous said...

perfect for a hot day! I've been on a watermelon and feta salad binge. Perhaps it's time to switch it up a bit!

stephchows said...

LOL sounds good on a nice hot day!

The Vintage Kitten said...

Ooh Diva that looks scrumptious! I always have watermelon in the freezer for an emergency Watermelon Daquiri and I know I have some elderflower cordial in the cupboard, Ive got Gin, but I havnt got any mint, oh well who needs those extra calories!!!! LOL!
Can you send over any sunshine as its pouring with rain here in the UK. X
P.S Thanks so much for your lovely comment re my 'stalker' honestly can you believe there are people out there like that? Enjoy the rest of the weekend X

words...words...words... said...

Wow. I can't stand gin, and this STILL sounds amazing.

Kelly said...

Watermelon is not my favourite at all but i am soooo going to try this as I love Elderflower (and booze!)

I have just come over from Vintage Kitten and love what I see :)

Lots of Love
Kelly xx

The Wino said...

This looks like a fabulouse summer beverage! I am giving you an award by the way, but not sure how to deliver it...you might have to pick it up on my blog.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Thanks, everyone! As it turns out, I threw a little dinner party last night and we served the watermelon blossoms ... they were a BIG hit. I remembered the mint this time and we threw a handful into the blender along with the fruit ... what a scrumptious addition!

words words words - you could certainly try this with vodka if the gin does not appeal. I think it would be equally delicious!

Kelly - thanks so much, and welcome to Beach Eats!! :)

Vintage Kitten - I will most certainly trade you my blazing hot sun for a bit of your rain. It was already 80 degrees when I woke up today. Blech! LOL xoxoxo to you too!

Wino - aw, thank!! Will do! :)