Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year - New Soup ...

Fasten your seat belts, I'm about to confess. At the risk of being ostracized from the community, I'm just going come out admit it ... I made another Rachel Ray recipe.

I'll give you a moment to smooth your feathers and calm your spirits.

Now I'll admit something else ... it was damn good. So good I've eaten it nearly every day since I made it. What is this mysterious concoction? Stuffed Cabbage Soup. More shocking than the fact that I've admitted to watching 30 Minute Meals, is the fact that I made this soup despite my dislike of stuffed cabbage. I can't stand the stuff. But, trust me, this soup is amazing.

Its rich, hearty and nourishing; just perfect for these blustery winter days we've been having of late. This is a soup to soothe your soul and warm the chill in your bones. And, wonder of wonders, its South Beach friendly ... I told you I'd return to my roots eventually!

Naturally, I've made some changes to the recipe. I swapped out some lean ground beef and ground turkey breast for the beef, pork and veal in the original recipe. And, I've upped the ante on the spices - a lot - among other things. Below is my version ...

Stuffed Cabbage Soup:
  • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef (sirloin)
  • 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
  • pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • some freshly ground black pepper
  • pinch of pumpkin pie spice
  • generous grating of fresh nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon of whole caraway seeds, crushed
  • 1 large, whole bay leaf
  • 1 cup of chopped onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 small to medium sized head of Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (core removed)
  • one 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup of unseasoned tomato sauce
  • two 14.5 ounce cans of non-fat low-sodium chicken broth
  • two 14.5 ounce cans of low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • some cooked whole wheat or egg noodles, or brown rice for serving
Garnishes:
  • some chopped fresh dill
  • some chopped fresh parsley
Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large soup or stock pot until hot but not smoking. Add the ground beef and turkey and saute until cooked throughout and beginning to brown, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon and stirring as you saute. Add all of the spices, from the paprika through the bay leaf, stir to combine and saute for one minute. Add the onions, garlic and carrots and saute until the onions are translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring as needed. Add the cabbage and saute, stirring, until it begins to wilt - about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, vegetable broth and the red wine vinegar. Raise the heat and bring the soup to the boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.

Have ready some cooked whole wheat noodles, egg noodles, or brown rice. To serve, place the noodles or rice in the bottom of a bowl and over it ladle the finished soup. Garnish with a generous sprinkling of chopped fresh dill and parsley. Serve immediately.

As written, this recipe will yield 6 to 8 servings depending on portion size.

People, this makes a ton of soup! A ton of wonderfully flavored, 100% satisfying, delicious soup. We liked it so much we've been eating it non-stop ... and I'm going to be very sad when its gone. Please don't be put off by the long list of ingredients - this really is a quick fix meal.

The recipe suggests that the soup be served with rice (white rice to be specific) - but who wants rice when you can have noodles? Not me. Though, as always, do as you see fit.

I know I kid about Rachel Ray, but I have to admit she's got some great ideas - this unusual soup chief among them. Personally, I found the original version somewhat lacking in flavor and in need of an acid balance - hence the red wine vinegar and the trio of paprikas - but if you prefer something less bold, by all means go with the original version. We like to keep things spicy around here, so I'm well-pleased with my adaptation. I've also simmered the soup longer than the original recipe suggests. I think the longer simmer helps to build flavor.

Round out the meal with a big, fresh salad and you'll have a complete meal that's a welcome respite from all the holiday indulgences ... and a fine foil for the chilly temps! I hope you'll try it.

Bon appetit!

25 comments:

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a great soup. I've visited Rachel Ray's Test kitchen on 34th and 5th Avenue, and trust that this is a good recipe. I like all of the spices you added to it, the stuff will probably raise your metabolism!

Lyndsay Wells said...

I make Rachel Ray's fudge every year at Christmas and love it so she can't be all bad ;)

The soup looks great!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Thanks, FLB - I certainly hope it revs up my metabolism ... heaven knows I need it! LOL

The Diva on a Diet said...

Maven - I kid about it because people have such strong opinions of her. That said, I make quite a few of her recipes and I've never once been disappointed. Her Chicken Parm Meatballs subs are amazing ... if you haven't tried them yet. :)

Teresa said...

LOL! I'd so like to not like Rachael Ray. ;-) But we've loved almost every one of her recipes we've tried. Still a little leery of the idea of cabbage soup but if you say it's that good, I may just have to try it!

Daily Spud said...

I have never seen Rachel Ray, so I can't comment! Either way, that sounds like a whole lot of spicy soup goodness that you've got going on there :)

Christina said...

haha I think a LOT more ppl like Rachael Ray than they let on - why else would she have all the shows, books, etc?!

I love 30 minute meals, I think it's so practical and I actually have the ingredients in my kitchen! This soup looks amazing - I'm a huge cabbage fan!

Lola said...

Rachel Ray isn't a dirty word. She's just very annoying. To me anyway.

I love her Mom's chicken liver spread and an Indian chicken she did on a 30 minute meals a couple years ago. That chicken dish is a staple in our house.

Julie said...

Don't feel bad, I like to watch a little RR now and then. I've even made some of her recipes before. Love the soup....looks amazing.

Queen "B" said...

Aloha,
totally fun Blog, loved it
looking forward to more
New Year Wishes
Brandi

cookeaze said...

What a lovely soup with appealing presentation!Thanks for your talent..

stephchows said...

what's up with all the rachel ray hate? lol Either lover her or hate her (i don't really have an opinion) the soup sounds great!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

There's nothing wrong with Rachel Ray in my book. I like a lot of her recipes and methods.

I've been looking for a good cabbage soup recipe and on your word, i have to try this.

Just remember, your kitchen, your blog...be you and do your own thing!

The Duo Dishes said...

There are a lot of ingredients in this one. :) Must have a great depth of flavor. And Rachel Ray does have a few good recipes! People hate on her, but she's not all bad!

Deb said...

I love soup and some of Rachel's "stoup" recipes are fabulaous. I actually just made a chicken breast rollup recipe with a lemon, dijon mustard sauce that is wonderful last night.

Anonymous said...

I like Rachel Ray, and she certainly has a lot of very practical recipes. This soup sounds totally yummy!

aoife mc said...

Wow, that looks like a great soup. I'm trying to undue some of the damage to my waistline by upping my soup intake this month! This stuffed cabbage looks amazing.

Sook said...

This soup looks perfect for this frightening weather over here. :)

The Diva on a Diet said...

I'm very much amused by the range opinions on RR expressed here. In all honesty, I have nothing against her and I do think her recipes are wonderful - though I will usually tweak them to my own preferences.

Anyway, its good to know I'm not the only one watching ... and that I haven't been ostracized from the community! LOL and j/k ;)

Erika Kerekes said...

OK, that is a HUGE list of ingredients, but as you know I am a huge cabbage fan, so this is going on my list. And I love stuffed cabbage, too! Looks divalicious!

Anonymous said...

I love cabbage soup. It's also a great low fat item and great for cleansing.

Anonymous said...

In place of the noodles try shirataki noodles. I saw them on RR's talk show today. They have no calories and no carbs. I'm going to get them!

Donna-FFW said...

Ive made this soup before (on my blog)and LOVED it .. I enjoy her recipes, I feel they are for like every day people like me, who dont have bundles of time but enjoy cooking rather than take out. She uses fresh, healthy ingredients, and makes it accessibel to all.

I am trying her stuffed pepper soup this week:)

Deb said...

Diva made your soup yesterday and you are so right this is in a word FABULOUS soup - I will be enjoying it all week at work. It has just the right combination of spices and a little heat to make it go beyond the ordinary. Love it!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Deb - thank you so much for reporting back! So glad you liked it, you've made my day!!! :)