Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thirsty Thursdays: Loch Lomond Edition


I like vodka. I've come to appreciate the fine points of a quality gin. But what I really, really like is scotch. If I'm having a drink, nine times out of ten, that drink will be a simple scotch and soda - slice of lemon, please.

That said, variety is the spice of life ... and I've got a cocktail feature to promote here. Knowing my never-ending quest for interesting and deliciously potent potables, my divalicious sister-in-law, K., was kind enough to gift me with a wonderful new mixology tome this past Christmas. 1001 Cocktails, published by Parragon Press UK, is a fantastic resource; and its beautifully photographed to boot.

While paging through the scotch section yesterday, I came across a recipe that peaked my interest. And, when I say peaked my interest, I mean I had all the ingredients on hand!

The Loch Lomond:
adapted from 1001 Cocktails
  • 2 ounces Scotch whiskey
  • 1 teaspoon agave nectar*
  • 3 dashes Angostura bitters
  • slice or twist of lemon for garnish
Fill a martini shaker with ice and over it pour the scotch, agave nectar and the bitters. Cover and shake well, until the outside of the shaker frosts, then strain into a chilled cordial or small martini glass. Garnish with a slice or twist of lemon. Serve and enjoy, repeat as necessary!

*Traditionally, and as per the recipe in the book, this cocktail is made with simple syrup (a mixture of sugar and water). With relatively few exceptions, I tend to eschew drinks made with simple syrup - so in this case I've chosen to use agave nectar instead. If you prefer to go the traditional route - use 1 ounce of simple syrup in place of the agave.

A brief note about the bitters: The mixology world was rocked earlier this month by the revelation that we were in the midst of an Agostura Bitters shortage. Seems there was some kind of dispute between the House of Angostura and the manufacturer of the bottles. Long story short, Angostura has been hard to find. This is bad news for all of us and really bad news for the husband ... he puts them in everything!

Finding ourselves down to the last drops of bitters, Chez Diva, the shortage was a crisis indeed. It was all we could talk about for days. I quickly donned my thinking tiara and proffered a suggestion - a little out of the way wine shop in CT. We stopped in last weekend and happened upon a whole stash of the stuff. Needless to say, we bought the large bottle and are now back in business!

For those without a ready supply of Angostura, fear not, the shortage is expected to end next month. A new manufacturer has been secured and the people will have their bitters. And, really, the people can have their bitters regardless. Both Fee Brothers and The Bitter Truth market an aromatic bitters.

During the height of the crisis, I purchased a bottle of The Bitter Truth's Old Time Aromatic Bitters and its really quite good. A bit strong on the licorice notes, but delicious all the same.

Fine, fine, Diva, but what about the Loch Lomond?! How does it taste? Honestly, its delicious. The agave serves to mellow the scotch and the bitters pair beautifully with it. This is smart little sipper that would be perfect as an after dinner drink. I hope you'll try it.

Cheers!

10 comments:

Mo Diva said...

it looks absolutely gorgeous!
I have never been big on scotch but this presentation almost looks refreshing...could be that im indeed thirsty LOL

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Always been a Scotch lover thanks to my dad. I've never gotten sick on Scotch, but I'm more of a Scotch and water girl.

This looks fabulous! Who knew you could do moe with Scotch and mix it with water or soda.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Mo - of course you're thirsty ... its Thursday! LOL :)

Katherine - its funny, as much as I love scotch, I rarely think to mix it with anything other than water or soda too. But, really, its a fine mixer. I loved this drink.

Charmian @Christie's Corner said...

We shall not tell Andrew of this. He would choke. He's a single malt guy and it's straight up or with a splash of water, depending on the Scotch. But he's drinking high-end single malts that are nearly old enough to drive.

Me? I think this sounds lovely, but I'd use Canadian Whiskey instead -- my marriage isn't worth risking for a cocktail. Even on as intriguing as this :-)

The Diva on a Diet said...

Charmian - No, def. not worth risking your marriage! And you're right, we'll certainly keep it a secret from Andrew.

I did use a blended scotch, not a single malt ... so I'm not an absolute deviant! LOL

tasteofbeirut said...

I have to admit: I have never tasted scotch. i know it is a serious gap in my culinary education!
Have you ever tried arak?

Amedy said...

Yummy I wanna one of these

Deb said...

Okay so I'm not a scotch person, I'm not even a hard liquor person (except for tequila wink!) but this is a beautiful drink in it's photo! Glad you found those bitters too - that could have been a catastrophe!

Wanda said...

What a catastrophe - No Bitters. They do add zing so its good to know that the product is going to be readily available. I used to drink scotch with ginger ale and ice which is very refreshing, but this mix sounds like a really nice tipple

cookeaze said...

How simple and yummy looking!This will have to be next on my list!