Monday, June 14, 2010

Diva Cooks: Astra Libris Edition

So, at long last, those whole wheat biscuits - and I promise they're worth the wait.

Part of the reason for the delay, was that I wanted to do this recipe and its creator justice. Back in February, I began an new feature: Diva Cooks - a series of posts wherein I cook and write about the food of other bloggers. The series began with Tangled Noodle's incredible Honeyed Apple Turkey Pot Pie and it continues today with Food for Laughter's whole wheat biscuits.

Written by Astra Libris, Food for Laughter is one of my most favorite blogs. Astra Libris is a gifted writer with a warm, generous spirit and a heart as big as the great outdoors. Her love of family, friends and food shines through in every post and you cannot help but smile when you read her words ... and droll when you read her recipes.

She first posted her whole wheat biscuit recipe back in June of 2009 and I've been making them ever since. They have become my go-to biscuit and I am pleased to share them with you today. In this case, I used them as a vehicle for using up some of the garlic scapes, and that ingredient is optional. Feel free to leave them out. Alternately, you could choose to add some chopped scallions, and or a bit of grated cheddar ... the options are limitless.

As you'll see when you click over, Astra serves these biscuits with her lighter version of white gravy - a Southern staple that she's made-over by using turkey sausage (or soy crumbles) and 1% milk. I have yet to try her white gravy, but I'm certain its every bit as delicious as these biscuits!

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large garlic scapes, minced (optional)
  • 1 cup non-fat milk (or 1% milk)
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees F.

1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk well with a wire whisk to combine. Add in the garlic scapes, if using and whisk again to combine. Add the milk and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add the melted butter and stir again until just combined. At this point, the dough will be formed, give it a gentle knead or two, in the bowl, just to bring it together.

2. To form the biscuits: use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and scoop by 1/4 cup fulls onto a baking sheet. The dough will yield approximately 10 biscuits. Bake in the middle of a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, until light golden brown and cooked throughout.

Serve and enjoy!

You'll note also that Astra's original recipe gives options for a vegan version, and that it uses a bit of white flour. I've used all whole wheat based flours in this recipe, though feel free to do either. I've also reduced the amount of sugar by half and, again, that's a personal choice.

These are my absolute favorite whole wheat biscuits and I hope you'll try them! I also hope you'll stop by Food for Laughter and get to know Astra and her wonderful family. I know you'll love her as much as I do!

Bon appetite!

12 comments:

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

The biscuits look so good. They're making my tummy growl in my quiet office!

Unknown said...

Oh how wonderful, I love a good biscuit. Pass the buttah daaaaaahling.
*kisses* HH

Nisrine@Dinners & Dreams said...

The wheat biscuits look delicious. I'm craving a warm one right out of the oven!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

BIscuits with whole wheat flour that are good for you - that is wonderful! They look really delicious.

Yum Yucky said...

this is perfect. Biscuits is my middle name! (with melted buttery goodness)

Daily Spud said...

I have never quite gotten used to the fact that biscuits mean something entirely different over in the US (over here they are the equivalent of cookies) - still, I daresay I could get used to these biscuits no problem :)

Astra Libris said...

Diva, I am filled with gratitude for your incredibly generous words... You are truly far too kind... I am so honored that you posted about the biscuits, and I my heart filled with happiness and thankfulness for your sentiments... You have truly made my day, and my week as well! I will be floating with joy for quite a while, whenever I think of your post! You are the sweetest!!

I also love, love how you've adapted these biscuits to contain all whole wheat flour!! I'm SO excited about fixing your version!! Thank you, Diva! :-) *hugs* :-)

The Duo Dishes said...

We are big biscuit and gravy fans! If eating whole wheat biscuits means more (and healthier) breakfasts, then bring it on.

Ca88andra said...

I shouldn't have read this while I was hungry! Wish I could have just reached into the computer and eaten one.

Laura said...

I love whole wheat biscuits. I need to introduce you to my whole wheat flour, ultra fine with all the fiber!! So nutty and yummy.

Thanks for sharing on Just Another Meatless Monday and I can't wait to see what you bring next week!

Anonymous said...

These biscuits look scrumptious and so flavorful with garlic scapes, yum!

Deb said...

Biscuits are a staple of southern cooking and these look way healthier than anything you would get around here - got to try them when my AC is working again - it clunked out this morning and it is hot as h#ll!