Friday, October 2, 2009

Notes and Noshings

So, here's the thing about me and experiences ... I'm often too busy experiencing them to document with photographs. You can be sure that my camera will be weighing down my purse at every party, wedding or social event I attend ... but rarely does that camera make it out of my bag. Sadly, my time at BlogHer Food '09 was no exception. (Which, incidentally, is why you're looking at a picture taken in Yerba Buena Gardens, rather than a bunch of festive food bloggers. Oops!)

Winding my way around the blogosphere this week, I've seen incredible shots of the food, the panels, the smiling happy faces; all of which cause me to wonder ... what was I thinking? Here I am basking in the glory of having met so many wonderful new friends, yet did I ever stop to take a picture of them? Nope, I was too busy enjoying their company!

Mostly, I'm ok with that. I do think there's something to be said for just being fully present and enjoying an experience as it unfolds. Would I have met as many new friends if my face had been behind a lens the whole time? I don't know. That said, I plan to do better next time. Surely there is a happy medium between my carefree attitude and the opposite extreme.

To close out my coverage of the conference, I thought I'd offer some additional tasty links for your noshing pleasure. I came home with a gigantic stack of business cards and simply could not list them all in my first recap. In the days to come I'll be popping by all of your blogs to say "hi" and reconnect, and expanding my blogroll accordingly.

Here are some of the folks I'll be visiting:
Pop in for a nibble and tell 'em The Diva sent you!

I hope I haven't missed anyone. If we met and I either failed to get your card, or somehow misplaced it, drop me a line and let me know so I can include you.

Fear not, dear readers, I will indeed have a new recipe for you come Monday. I'll be featuring that pot roast I was craving earlier in the week ... and it was spectacular! Stay tuned.

Cheers!

18 comments:

Miss Caught Up said...

I am the same way with my camera! I really need to use it more... And by the way, I'll be in NYC (Brooklyn) in two weeks. :)

Laura said...

ahem??? Queen bears no mention?

Laura said...

The Queen must be blind because I found my name in your first recap...of course thats where I would be :D

The Diva on a Diet said...

MCU - really? Cool! email me at divaonadiet@gmail.com ... though, depending on your dates, I may be out of town. :(

Laura - Dude! No! I got you guys in the first post ... but you're right, I will add you again here. :)

The Diva on a Diet said...

Laura - right, the Queen of All must be first! ;)

Unknown said...

I totally agree, its better to be fully present (aka, without worrying about getting a good shot). Anyways its a bit weird taking out your camera whenever you eat, don't you think.
Have a fabulous weekend daaaaaaahling. *kisses* HH

Lynda said...

It was nice to meet you at BlogHer! I'll enjoy reading your blog!

pixelgal said...

Guess you got your camera genes from your Dad! Mine is always clicking although I have noticed lately it's been quieter than usual. I always did think it was my way of being just a bit remote from the crowd. Love to look back at the pictures and reminisce, though.

Fresh Local and Best said...

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing earlier today. It's one of the reasons I have a hard time reviewing restaurant establishments, I don't take pictures of the interior or the dishes, although I am often tempted. It's too awkward for me, and it's a tough balance between trying to experience vs. capture the moment, so like you, I choose to experience it.

Annie said...

Hi Tara, it was great meeting you too. I really like your site-- very nice! I'm trying to get caught up after the trip, and get my head out of San Francisco... it's all I can think about. I look forward to reading up more on your blog soon.

Annie

The Diva on a Diet said...

HH - I'm glad I'm not the only one ... and, yes, it is weird ... and not always well received either! Fabu weekend to you as well!! xoxoxo

Lynda - thanks! And I know I'll enjoy yours as well. Its beautiful. :)

pixelgal - is that where I got it from?! ;) I tend to do better with vacation photography ... but then I end up with an abundance of artsy shots and no people! I do love to look back though, so its a regret when I miss opportunities.

Fresh Local Best - frankly, I've been gun-shy in restaurants ever since being scolded for taking pics at a "fancy" place this past spring. And I was being discreet too. I do feel awkward as hell taking pics of food in public places ... and, really, I don't have the camera to stand up to the low light either. Its a pickle.

Annie - I know just what you mean. Part of my head is still in SF as well. There was simply too much information / sensory in-put to process quickly. I look forward to keeping up with you on Kitchen Mirror as well!

Christo Gonzales said...

I have turned that way with business cards - I pop off a photo of any old and every thing - chat up and get chatted up having a grand old time snapping away and I walk out of there having not left a way to contact me, nor a way to get in contact - so there are many extremes I guess, I think I just need an assistant.

Deb said...

It's good to know that I'm not the only camera challenged individual out there. I always have a camera but am not always good about having it our and using it! Sharron on the other hand is great at documenting our many adventures together. On our first trip to Itlay she took about 20 rolls of traditonal film and then combined our photos into a great CD of memories complete with music. She got smart on our next trip and used a camera with a memory card but still outdid with me with shear quntity of lovely photos which she again compiled into a wonderful travelogue CD. Ah well, there are the picture takers and the the picture veiwers and I'm of the later.....

Astra Libris said...

Thank you for the awesome collection of great blogs to visit! I look forward to browsing happily through them all, especially since they come with your recommendation! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'll be reading all of these too now. Thanks for helping me organize my google reader. :) Lovely to meet you!

The Diva on a Diet said...

doggybloggy - I've done that too ... but have gotten better about it recent months. That said, an assistant would be mighty sweet. I need a photographic one!

Deb - how very cool about the picture CDs from Sharon! Does she do them herself? I'm impressed! I've got one that my mom made us of childhood pictures set to music and I adore it. :)

Astra - you are so sweet and supportive ... I've already "seen" you hopping around to the new blogs. Thanks for playing along!! :)

just quirky - my reader is now out of control ... but in such a good way. Cheers! :)

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Oh, I took plenty of photos at BlogHer Food, but still don't have them out for the world to see because I haven't finished writing a post yet. See ... you're ahead of the game! Thanks for the shout out again ... you rock! :-)

Shirley

Janet said...

Thanks so much for the link! You know, I only took a few pictures myself, though there were some cute ones - thanks for the help with that! ;) But really, sometimes I find the pictures don't actually do the memories justice, so just think of it that way! :)