Hot, spicy steak; cool, crisp veggies; soft whole wheat tortilla - need I say more? I think not.
Steak Tacos with Bell Pepper Slaw
Spice Rubbed Flank Steak:
- 1 1/2 pound flank steak
- 3 teaspoons ancho chili powder (or any kind of chili powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, espresso powder, brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, dry mustard and ground coriander. Mix well with your fingers, or a small wire whisk, until thoroughly combined.
2. Rub both sides of the flank steak, to coat well, with the spice mixture and allow the meat to rest at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Slick a grill pan with a thin coat of oil and heat it, over high heat, until smoking hot. Grill the steak, turning once, roughly 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium rare - or until done to your liking. Remove from grill pan, cover loosely with foil and allow the meat to rest for a full 5 minutes before slicing. Then slice thin, against the grain, on the diagonal.
Red and Yellow Bell Pepper Slaw:
- 1/2 of a large red bell pepper, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 of a large orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 of a medium red cabbage, shredded into thin slices
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (I used fig balsamic)
- 1/4 teaspoon dark Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed or celery salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1. Combine the sliced peppers, onions, cabbage and shredded carrots in a large bowl and mix well with a fork.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, agave nectar, cayenne pepper, salt and celery seed. Whisk until well combined and pour over the sliced/shredded veggies. Toss well with a fork to coat.
3. Add the cilantro, mint and black sesame seeds and toss again to combine well. Cover and reserve in fridge until ready to serve.
For the Tacos:
- Sliced Grilled Flank Steak
- Red Pepper Slaw
- Warm Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Some Guacamole and or Sour Cream
- Some Sriracha or other form of Chili Sauce
Place some sliced steak atop the whole wheat tortilla, add some slaw, a bit of guacamole and some sriracha to taste. Roll up and devour, repeat as necessary!
As written, this recipe will serve 4.