Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Plum 'em, don't clump 'em (tm Covergirl) ...



So what's all this about mascara you say? For one thing, I love it and can't live without it. If I'm not wearing it there's a problem: I'm either very sick or very dead. Either way, call 911. For another thing, you should be wearing it too. I mean all of you, all the time. You know who you are. If you look in the mirror and can't find your eyes, then get thee to Sephora post haste! If you're a man and you're reading this - then, ok, you get a buy. If you're a gay man reading this - then call me, we'll go for drinks and dish about all things Bravo.
I'm not kidding, I need someone to share my Bravo-love ... but I digress.

The Diva is talking mascara because she's a former make-up artist who's never lost her cosmetics jones - and because she won't always have a new recipe to post. Sure, the cooking/healthy eating/dieting stuff is the main focus of the blog, but can't a diva have a little fun?! They've taken my Doritos but they'll have to wrestle the mascara wand from my cold, dead hands.

Currently I'm wearing a combination of two mascaras. I need both length and volume so for the first two coats I use: Lancome's L'Extreme. Its magical! It picks up every little lash you've got and gives great definition. For the last coat I'm currently liking Clinique's Naturally Glossy. Its on the dry side, which helps prevent clumps, and does a good job with building volume.

I'll be posting make-up tips and product reviews from time to time and I hope you'll enjoy them as much as the recipes. I want to look good and feel good ... and I want you to look good too ... because if you don't the Diva will know and she *will* mock you. ~wink~

More recipes later. For now, what's your favorite mascara and why?



11 comments:

pixelgal said...

What does the Diva recommend for women of a certain age who no longer use mascara? Eyes that once flirted and rolled now just whine about dryness, itch in the spring and try to remain open after 10:00. Perhaps the Diva can research mascara to rejuvinate Seniors...women OR men and maybe be named Diva of the Year by the AARP? Those close to her would be ever so grateful!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Yay! Its pixelgal! :)

Well, I do see your point ... and I knew you'd raise it ... but in a manner so witty I think you need your own blog!

Have you tried Almay? Its supposed to be hypo-allergenic ... but maybe that's a crock? I'll do a little search and let you know if I find anything interesting.

Love your face - xoxoxo - me

The Diva on a Diet said...

Hmm, seems that some of you are having troubling posting your comments. I have no idea why. I'll look into it and in the meantime I'm posting this comment which I received via emai:

"I too share a love for food and mascara but I have gone beyond the wand. Yes, I now use false eye lashes for length, volume and glamor. I have tried them all Channel, Lancome and Bad Lash and falsies win hands down.
Currently, I use Mac lashes just in the corner but have used longer ones for special occasions. I warn you they are addictive."

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I'm making this blog a "must read"!

Jazzer Gal said...

Currently I use Maybelline's Lash Stylist, which has a comb for a wand instead of the usual brush. Great for separating lashes (which I have few of). I sometimes use Cover Girl's Lash Blast, which has a huge round brush (like a club), it's great for lower lashes.
I've been meaning to try fake eyelashes, but haven't gotten up the nerve.
A gal I know has gorgeous lashes, but one day I caught her make-up free, & finally figured out that they were fake. My daughter couldn't believe I didn't figure it out sooner. She told me that she'd seen them on the lady's bathroom counter (it's her BFF's Mom). They do look great, maybe I should try it.
I used to use Almay, but if I remember right my lashes clumped. I have sensitive eyes & haven't had any trouble with waterproof Mayb. Lash Stylist.
from, a Yankee in the south

cityrachel said...

Okay - I'm speaking for those of us who simply don't like wearing mascara. Yikes! I can already hear Tara falling to the floor in a dead faint. Okay, I've been "blessed" with pretty large eyes, and find that I need a bit of liner to give them a bit more definition. So, I'll share one of my new fave products. Urban Decay's "Stash." They've got my number with their ad campaign. funny, urban, edgy - and the eyeliner goes on so nicely. The "stash" color is kinda olive-y - I think they'd like us to imagine it the color of the residue at the bottom of a nickel bag of pot. Perhaps they'd boost sales if they sold it along with a pack of E-Z Wider. And it's got a bit of shimmer - which I was concerned wearing as a "woman of a certain age" - but find it very flattering.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Hello and welcome, jazzer gal! Thanks for your comment and the tip. I've been meaning to try the Lash Blast, because it does look interesting.

As for the falsies - I always use Halloween as an excuse for sporting them. Any costume I wear must include them. I have yet to try wearing them for everyday use though. But after Rebecca's endorsement, I may just look into them.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Rach - I had no idea you didn't use mascara ... your eyes always look beautiful ... so you're in the clear! LOL

I share your love of Urban Decay and will try their eyeliner. I've used their shadows and lipstick, but have yet to try the eyeliner. I like a little bit of shimmer too, so thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I agree that mascara is an essential cosmetic Diva. I am currently using Voluminous by L'Oreal - FABULOUS. Best mascara I've used in ages and I have a lot of ages to use!

Love your blog both diet and non diet BTW.

Deb (from South Beach Diet spark pages) also known as mamagoss

The Diva on a Diet said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Deb, I appreciate it!

I've used L'Oreal Voluminous on and off over the years and loved it too. Good stuff.

Ann (Healthy Tasty Chow) said...

Fun! I've not tried that particular mascara - w/ Lancome I tend to buy Hynose that seemed to get clumpier over the years - didn't used to be though. I just tried the Hypnose Drama and it's even worse. My curent fave is the Fresh mascara- it's natural and you can wash it off easily but it also lengthens and thickens. But do I keep buying it? No, because I have to try something new almost every time!