I don't know about you, but when the weather turns warm the first thing I want to do is head straight for the deck, drink in hand, and throw some burgers on the grill. A careful search has confirmed that I seem to be lacking the requisite backyard, deck, and or grill ... sigh. I have no choice but to fire up the grill pan, turn on the a/c, and get cooking.
Spicy, Savory Chicken Burgers:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 large leek, white and pale green parts only, chopped
- 1 pound of ground chicken breast
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut into small dice
- 2 1/2 tbsp. good quality tomato paste
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of Kosher salt and some freshly ground black pepper
- the (cooled) cooked leek and red pepper mixture (above)
- some sliced Gruyere cheese
As written this recipe will yield 4 to 6 patties, depending upon how big you like your burgers.
Personally, I prefer to skip the bun and serve the burger atop some crisp lettuce and garnish it with a quick little tomato and red onion relish ...
... to make the relish I simply combine some chopped grape tomatoes, chopped red onion, some red wine vinegar, a bit of olive oil, a drop of balsamic vinegar and some chopped fresh parsley. Stir well and add a dash of salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture over the finished cheese burgers and I assure you - you won't miss the ketchup.
It may not be summer just yet, but mix up a batch of these juicy, savory burgers and it will most certainly taste like it!
Careful viewers will note the crusty bit of flatbread next to my burger ... come back tomorrow and I'll tell you all about it.