Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thirsty Thursdays: Rum Punch Edition


Physically, I may be back in New York; mentally, I'm still in the Caribbean. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why we thought it was a good idea to come home. It may have had something to do with a husband needing his wife and a job requiring my presence ... but right now it seems like a bad idea. It was all I could do not to put on flip-flops when I woke up this morning and, certainly, I was disappointed at the distinct lack of pool, Chez Diva.

Ah well, a glorious vacation it was - and at least I can recreate the taste of the islands at home. Today, I'm featuring a cocktail sure to remind me of the soft sands, the warm breeze, and the cool, clear, turquoise waters I left behind.

Rum Punch:
  • 2 oz. dark rum
  • 2 oz. orange juice
  • 2 oz. pineapple juice
  • 1/2 oz. lime juice - roughly half a lime
  • 1 teaspoon Grenadine syrup
  • freshly grated nutmeg
  • wheel of orange, lime or blood orange for garnish
Fill a martini shaker with ice and over it pour the rum, orange juice, pineapple juice and lime juice. Cover and shake well until the outside of the shaker frosts. Strain into an ice filled highball glass and top with 1 teaspoon of Grenadine syrup. Grate some fresh nutmeg over the top of the drink and garnish with a slice of fruit. Serve and enjoy, repeat as necessary!

I'm certain there are hundreds, if not thousands, of recipes for Rum Punch. Consider this a basic and feel free to experiment. You could substitute some fresh blood orange juice for the regular stuff, or use it in place of the lime. You might also decide to opt for one of those tropical juice blends, in lieu of the pineapple juice. Hell, you could even add another ounce or two of rum if you're feeling frisky. Go ahead, I won't tell. I'll even allow for a festive paper umbrella or two, if it suits your fancy.

Either way, you'll be rewarded with a seductive little drink that's as refreshing as it is classic. Be aware, it goes down smooth and there's a ton of sugar involved ... have a few glasses of water if you're going to indulge. Your head will thank me in the morning ... and, its worth the risk!

Here's where I was when I was sipping my last rum punch:

... Is it any wonder I'm sorry we left? Le sigh.

Oh, and if you're wondering what goes on behind the scenes, Chez Diva ... it goes a little something like this:

Cheers!

15 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

what a nice little trip you had - but with scenery like that I bet you are glad you left!

Unknown said...

Citrusy and spicy :D Oh god, that last picture kills me, so cute!
*kisses* HH

Laura said...

It's so hard to come back isn't it? I love the cat checking your drink :) Is that a metal straw? I want one!!!

Mo Diva said...

wow. im jealous.
that rum punch looks divine. I can taste it! mmmm. I love rum punch!
I need to drink with you diva!

Holly said...

So glad you had an awesome vaca! The ones you don't want to come back from are the best ones;)
The Peppered Pantry~

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a nice vacation! Rum punch sounds terrific!

The Diva on a Diet said...

doggybloggy - I miss that pool!!!

HH - Believe me that cat (Zelda) is a real handful sometimes. Its a good thing she's cute! xoxoxo

Laura - It was definitely hard to come back from this vacation. We were in Turks and Caicos and it was an absolute paradise. Sigh.

Anyway, YES, that is a metal straw! Stainless steel, washable, re-useable and totally green! I got them in a local store, but I know you can find them on Amazon. :)

Mo Diva - we can totally make that happen! ;)

Holly - thanks! And you're so right. It was bliss.

5 Star - my punch would go well with the sorbet on your blog today. Yum!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I just booked a trip to Vegas and must have something like it!

Thanks for the really nice comment on my blog! Sorry I haven't been commenting lately - I've been in kind of a commenting rut for some reason! I'm always reading though! :)

SSI said...

Have I mentioned how much I love these Thirsty Thursdays? Looks so yummy.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I certainly hope you put mine aside. These look and sound delicious.

pixelgal said...

I MUST have a copy of the drinking Zelda cat for my own. Please send one ASAP!

Ca88andra said...

One day I'll get to the Carribean...

Lisa said...

Diva - that punch looks delightuflly refreshing and very chi chi. I'm glad you had a great vacation - wish I could have been there sipping rum punch with you and checking out the 'scenery' ;D

The Diva on a Diet said...

prettygreengirl - no doubt you'll be able to find some festive drinks in Vegas! Take pics so you can share them with us! :) No worries on the commenting deal, I think we've all been in a rut lately! :)

SSI - aw, thanks! I'm glad you enjoy this feature ... I do too!

Mary - c'mon by any time ... the bar's always open, Chez Diva! LOL

pixelgal - I'll go you one better ... how 'bout I just send Zelda to you! ;)

Ca88andra - I hope so, and when you do go, I highly recommend Turks and Caicos, its paradise!

Lisa - thanks! We should hold an annual blogger meet-up in paradise ... completely with festive drinks and "scenery"! ;)

Tangled Noodle said...

It won't take much coaxing to get me to make this (or rather, get the hubs to make this for me!) It's tough leaving a tropical paradise behind, so thank goodness for these refreshing reminders!