Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Breakfast of Champions ...

Its a windy, bitter 17 degrees out there today and I'm on my way to the gym. While I'd normally opt for a small breakfast of Greek yogurt and some nuts before hitting the gym, on a day like this I really need something heartier. I like a hot breakfast on a cold morning and today I'm going to share my favorite on-the-go product: Uncle Sam Instant Oatmeal with Whole Wheat Flakes and Flaxseed.

Uncle Sam's is by no means a new product. Its been around for generations, since 1908, in fact. Its relatively new to me though. My favorite oatmeal is McCann's Irish Oatmeal. Just a simple can of steel cut oats, they are stunningly good and hearty. I don't always have time to make them though, and when in a hurry I turn to the Uncle.

I met Uncle Sam when I began my search for a sugar free instant oatmeal - and a happier introduction I couldn't imagine. I don't like all those sugary, flavored instant cereals and prefer to flavor my own. Sure, I know Quaker makes a plain, sugar-free instant oatmeal, but its pales in comparison to my beloved McCann's. It lacks the nutty goodness that I so enjoy. And, frankly, the texture leaves much to be desired. Its more alike to wall paper paste than not, whereas Uncle Sam's has a bit of crunch ... and I dig texture. The wheat flakes and flax go a long way towards bumping up the flavor as well. Its nearly as good as the steel cut oats and I adore it.

Take a look at the ingredients and nutritional profile:

Nothing un-pronounceable, no sugar added, and its got a decent amount of fiber and protein to boot. Color me delighted! I like to top my oatmeal with a few crushed walnuts and roasted pecans, a handful of diced Granny Smith apple and a generous dusting of cinnamon. Spectacular!

I make it in the microwave and it takes all of a minute and a half. Its a perfect way to start the day and I recommend it highly.

So, what's your favorite cold weather breakfast? Chilly Diva wants to know.

Bon appetitte!

6 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

I seriously thought this was a joke post at first. But then I realized it said Sam and not Tom. :X

It DOES look delicious. Bananas and walnuts!

Anonymous said...

Hi Diva, your interview, sorry it took so long but I feel I do owe some allegiance to the hand that feeds me...

1. I like you blog a lot. Why do have such a fascination with food?

2. By your own confession, there will be a lot of chicken, why?

3. We all know about the many things you like in the culinary world; tell us some of the things you hate, or at least dislike somewhat?

4. You have displayed an inate skill with the camera, tell us about it?

5. If there is something you really dislike, or that really peeves you about the blogosphere, what would that be?

If you’d like to play along, just follow these instructions:

* Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.” (I won't post your email address in the comments.)
* I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
* You will update your blog with the answers to the questions. Be sure you link back to the original post.
* You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
* When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Thanks, and good luck...

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

When it's cooler out (it's never realy cold in Florida), I still eat my fav greek yogurt, kashi and fruit but I suplement with a steamy mug of decaf with no sugar added International Coffee Vanilla creamer. This is my one horrible chemical laden splurge! Unless I can get my hands on a cup of Dunkin Donuts extra cream Yum!

Anonymous said...

Our first proper winter in London for a good few years, has meant that I'm so glad I discovered proper oats for breakfast. Made on the stove, my current choice is a winter porridge from a company called Southern Alps which includes chopped pecans, slow-dried yellow figs and dates with a touch of cinnamon. Absolutely yum and 2 tbsps made with 8oz milk/water keeps me full until lunchtime.

http://www.southern-alps.co.uk/index.php?page=77

Anonymous said...

Sorry that anon was me...

S

The Diva on a Diet said...

LOL, Hektik! It is delish, try it, you'll like it. :)

Argentum - again, thanks so much for these great questions. They were wonderful!

Deb - we all have a dirty little chemical secret. No harm really when the rest of your diet is so healthy. I say enjoy it!

Scarlet - that porridge sounds wonderful. I'll be on the look out to see if they sell it here. Thanks for the tip!