Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Crepes Redux ...

Since I've not had the opportunity to create much in the way of culinary greatness so far this week, I thought I'd follow up on Papa Diva's crepe post with a recommendation and a couple of pics.

The photo above is of Papa Diva contemplating my favorite Parisian creperie - A la Bonne Crepe, located at 11 Rue Grégoire de Tours, Paris, France. The husband and I dined here on my first trip to Paris in 1997 and I was delighted, though not surprised, to find that it was still there on my second trip in 2007. Both meals were spectacular and I can't recommend this place highly enough.

The atmosphere is charmingly rustic, warm and cozy, and the food is simply divine. We were with a larger group of family and friends in 2007, and I was happy to have the opportunity to introduce them to one of our little finds. As is the custom, we each began with a savory crepe - I had the ham, egg and cheese - then followed that with a sweet crepe. I don't think I need to tell you that I chose chocolate for my sweet filling; a rich, deep, velvety chocolate sauce to be exact that was good enough to drink on its own ... swoon. Though I understand that those who chose the apple were pleased as well. You really can't go wrong with any of Bonne Crepe's offerings.

Mama Diva snapped this pic of the crepe master at work, I think he was filling an apple crepe at the time ... and it was kind of him to put down his cigarette while doing so. Ah, Paris!

As you can see, the Diva family seriously devoted to crepes! I just wanted to take the opportunity to share these with you as I am out and about today. I'll be back with a cookbook recommendation and a new recipe tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Bon appetite!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

....and don't forget this crepe meister did EVERYTHING himself that day. I guess the waitress called in sick and he handled all the tables (not many but still)including bussing, taking orders, cooking, serving and all without missing a beat! I can still taste those delicious crepes.
Today the Diva Dad's birthday present came in the mail and he was delighted! A new crepe pan with the same green finish on it as your Christmas present and in a larger size. So maybe Chez Guillaume will be open more often now???

Sass said...

I've never had a crepe. :( Never.

And anytime I hear about crepes, I think of Talladega Nights.

;)

The Vintage Kitten said...

It sounds wonderful Diva. Can you believe I live in the UK and yet the kitten hasnt been to Paris? Mr K wants us to take a trip to Amsterdam, but I think it should be a trip to France (so much more stylish) X

The Diva on a Diet said...

You're right, Pixelgal, he did! Quite a wonder to behold. Can't wait to give Papa's new crepe pan a spin ... perhaps we won't have to wait until next Christmas for more crepes?! :)

Sass - oh no, we must remedy that! Fix yourself up a batch of the crepes for breakfast this weekend. They're easy, really, and soooo good.

Vintage Kitten - we must also remedy your need to visit Paris. I'm sure Amsterdam would be lovely and all ... but Paris ...! I think Mr. Kitten should take you to both. ;)