Monday, January 5, 2009

Cooking Green ...

I know what you're thinking ... its a new week, a new month, a new year - so naturally, today's post will be about resolutions. Right? Not exactly. Those of you who've been with me from the beginning will know how I feel about resolutions. I don't like them and, in general, I resolve ... nothing. Its my belief that change happens when we are ready to embrace it and not because the calendar turns.

I do, however, recognize that others enjoy engaging in such folly and, gracious hostess that I am, I like to encourage them to do so at my annual New Year's Day party. Its our tradition to have the guests write their resolutions on slips of paper and place them into a bowl. Eventually, we all draw a slip from the bowl and read it aloud. My theory being that we seldom keep our own resolutions, perhaps its easier - and certainly more comical - to adopt someone else's.

Some of the resolutions are genuine and others ... mine, usually ... a bit more frivolous. In past years I've resolved to: "moisturize more" ... I didn't; "wear more hats" ... I didn't; and this year I resolved to "form a better relationship with my crock pot." You can probably guess how that will pan out ... and you can read about the only resolution I've ever kept here.

All of that to say that today's post isn't so much about resolutions as it is a confession. I suck at cooking eggs. Really. The husband is the breakfast chef in Divaland and we are all the better for it. I can tackle the most complicated recipe with ease, but ask me to scramble you an egg and you will be sorry indeed ... until now.

Much to my surprise and delight, Mama and Papa Diva gifted me with a wonderful new pan on Christmas morning and I think its going to revolutionize my breakfast cookery! This pan and I have produced two incredible, edible, egg dishes so far and we've only just met. Color me happy! The pan is part of Cuisinart's GreenGourmet line and I adore it. It has a ceramic based, petroleum-free, non-stick surface that provides quick and even heating - which makes cooking (and cleaning up) a dream. And, happily, its as green as green can be.

The stay-cool handle is made from recycled materials, the anodized construction provides superior heat conductivity, requiring less energy to heat it; and it is free from the nasty off-gassing chemicals that are typically used in creating non-stick cookware ... meaning, nothing gross or toxic will leech into your food. Bonus!

You can read more about these magical pans on Cuisnart's site and they can be purchased there as well. They are also available at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I'm thrilled with this gift and can't wait to explore its wonders more fully. I've so far used it to saute spinach, pan fry some tilapia, and have even managed to scramble myself up some amazing eggs. Will wonders never cease?! I recommend it highly and thank the parental units profusely ... breakfast is on me next time you visit!

Now, if only I can get this excited about that crock pot ... stay tuned. Meanwhile, what's your resolution? Curious Diva wants to know.

Bon appetite!

8 comments:

Miss Caught Up said...

That picture is making me hungry!! :D

I'm the same way with resolutions. The list is a nice thought, though.. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you like the pan and can't wait 'til mine comes in the mail. I never had a problem with eggs but think the non-stick pans with the mystery surfaces that come off and go to places unknown in your body are gross. I never make resolutions, but this year I resolved to try to eat slowly! After years of speed eating this should be tough to do, so wish me luck! And happy egging!

Anonymous said...

I would not be a good cook without a non stick pan.

However, I do resolve to go get a green Cuisinart pan and maybe get rid of the others. Depends on size of pans Cuisinart makes.

Cin.

Michele said...

I don't do resolutions either. I don't believe in setting myself up to fail. I've made a few goals for 2009. But they are something to work towards in baby steps.

If you need crock pot help...I'm your girl!! I adore mine and use it all of the time. :)

Nice egg! Way too over cooked for my tastes...but it's a pretty egg.

Anonymous said...

So, let me get this right - you resolved not to resolve?

Happy New Year Diva!

Anonymous said...

My resolution this year is more a strengthening of my resolve to lose the last of the weight I resolved to lose last year. I am 11 pounds away from a 50 pound weight loss that I started 1/1/08.

Love that you love your new pan Diva. Glad it is making the egg your friend - I LOVE all things breakfast and adore making all kinds of egg dishes.

Deb

Elizabeth said...

Nice! I've never heard of these pans but I'm very intrigued.

The Diva on a Diet said...

MCU - so nice to you! I hope you enjoyed the holidays and do keep in touch. I've missed you!

Pixelgal - your resolution sounds quite sensible and entirely do-able! Its probably something we should all pay more attention to. Good luck and I hope your pan arrives soon. :)

Cin - the GreenCuisine line has several different sizes of pan ... check it out, you might find one you like.

Michele - I will take you up on the offer of crock-pot help. Do a series on your blog so I can pick your brain! LOL Funny, about the egg ... it as a little under-done for me. LOL again. I've missed you too!

Dana - in a word ... yes! ;)

Deb - you're nearly there, that is fantastic! BIG congrats on your loss so far and I know for certain you'll get there soon. You're as resolved as anyone I know! :)

Juliet - I neglected to mention, but it goes without saying I guess, that because the non-stick coating is so slick, you need very little oil for cooking. Its a great pan altogether.