Monday, December 22, 2008

Lemon Sparkle Cookies ...

... or, alternately titled: "When Cheryl Sends You Lemons ... Make Cookies!"

My gorgeous Meyer Lemons arrived on Saturday morning and I put a few of them to good use by making some yummy and interesting cookies. This recipe comes from my friend V. - of pumpkin bread fame. The original was made with lime rather than lemon, so feel free to substitute if lime is your preference. You may also use regular lemons, if you don't have any Meyer's on hand.

Meyer Lemon Sparkle Cookies:
  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp. grated Meyer Lemon zest
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 cup of fresh Meyer Lemon juice
  • some green decorating sugar
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and white sugar together in the bowl of your standing electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and mix well to incorporate.

In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and whisk gently to combine. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar/zest and half of the lemon juice. Mix well to incorporate, then add the remaining flour and lemon juice, again mixing well until the dough comes together.

Shape the dough into 1" round balls and place them on a cookie sheet. Flatten the balls with a fork and dust them with a bit of green sanding sugar, then - using the bottom of a perfectly flat glass, press the sugar into the cookie rounds. Bake in the middle of a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10 - 11 minutes. Remove cookies from the sheet to a cooling rack and cool completely.

As written, this recipe will make approximately 56 cookies.


These cookies are light, crisp at the edges yet slightly soft in the center, and brimming with lemon flavor. They will make a very a delicious and unexpected addition to my traditional cookie offerings.

Again, many thanks to Cheryl at 5 second rule for hosting such a fun holiday event! Your lemons are delightful and I have big plans for the rest of them. Stay tuned.

Lastly, I'm one day late - yet hopefully not a dollar short - in wishing everyone a Happy Hannukah! If you're celebrating the Festival of Lights tonight, have an extra latke for me ... with sour cream and applesauce, please ... and remind me to post a recipe for that ... next year!

And with that, I'm back to the kitchen to finish off the rest of the baking. The madness continues. So, how's your holiday prep going? Curious Diva wants to know.

Bon appetite!

7 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

Right around the end of it we ran out of gas. We didn't even put lights outside. Family issues really put a downer on the whole one of a kind season this year.

Next year will be better I hope.

The Diva on a Diet said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Hektik and I, too, hope next year will be better. I've run out of gas as well and am calling it quits on the baking. Merry Christmas and all the best for 2009!

Elizabeth said...

Happy Hannukah to you too! :) Your cookies look so good! I love lemon cookies. :)

Veriance said...

So happy that you liked this recipe and that it provided a delicious use for the lemons!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE anything lemon. These look so good! A great use of your hard won lemons.

I took a baking breather today. Oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies tomorrow I think.

Have a very Merry Christmas Diva and Pixiegal!

Deb

The Diva on a Diet said...

Me too, Deb, love lemon. Me too on the break from baking too. I'm not making any more things. Period. LOL

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas! Mwah!

Anonymous said...

Man, your lemons look even better in that photo than they did on my tree. So glad they survived the cross-country journey, esp. given all the bad weather.

Happy holidays!