Monday, July 7, 2008

Desserts: The Wack and Dope Edition


So I went to the movies yesterday. This is something of a rare occurrence for me. I go maybe two or three times a year and I'm usually disappointed. But one of my best friends is a real movie hound. She sees *everything* and yesterday I joined her and we took in The Wackness. Sigh. As usual, I wasn't impressed. I'm not going to write an entire review here, but I can sum up my feelings about it by offering you this sterling example of The Wackness' riveting dialog. This film actually contains the improbable line: "See I just think about the dopeness, whereas you can only see the wackness." Really? Really. And it goes downhill from there. I'll tell you what's wack and dope: A.) Wack - I actually paid to see this film. And, B.) someone at the Sundance Film Festival thought this movie was dope enough to give it an award. Really? Really.

Of course, as lame as that line is, I'm now fighting the urge to divide everything into the categories of wack and dope. As in: "My hair is totally wack today, but these shoes are really dope." Or, "John McCain is wack, but Barack Obama? He's dope!" Its fun, you should try it too! I'm now convinced that everything can and should be categorized thusly. In that spirit, I'm going to offer you two dessert recipes that are, shockingly, both wack and dope. Word.

Dope Chocolate Yogurt - or what passes for ice cream in Diva World:

  • 6 oz. container of non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp. Reddi-whip, whipped topping
  • dash of Splenda or your choice of non-sugar sweetener
  • handful of sliced strawberries
  • some fresh blueberries
Using a small wire whisk, mix the cocoa powder and vanilla into the yogurt and whisk until well combined. Add the whipped topping and continue to blend. Add in your choice of sweetener - Splenda, Agave nectar, or even some honey if you're not on the South Beach, and blend to combine. Taste and adjust the sweetness according to your liking. Mix in the berries, or your choice of fruit, serve and enjoy!

I know the Reddi-whip is something of an enhancement - but I don't use much and it helps lessen the amount of Splenda needed, so I'm ok with that. Use whatever works for you. This concoction is creamy and delicious - and it goes a long way towards satisfying my need for ice cream. Its dope!

And now for the wack. I cribbed this one from any number of South Beach diet recipe sites - but, naturally, I've changed it and made it my own.

Wack Chocolate Peanut butter "Ice Cream":

  • one sugar-free Fudgsicle
  • 1 tsp. natural peanut butter - no sugar added
Remove the Fudgsicle from the wrapper and place it in a small, microwave safe, bowl. Add the peanut butter to the bowl. Microwave on high for @ 30 seconds, or until the Fudgsicle has melted and the peanut butter is soft. Remove the wooden stick from the bowl, and using a small whisk, stir vigorously to combine the two ingredients. When the chocolate and peanut butter are well combined, place the bowl in the freezer and let it set up until it has frozen again.

Remove from freezer, inhale, and pretend you are eating ice cream. (Hint - you may actually need some dope to make yourself believe this.) Now that is some serious wackness. Its also really dope, especially if you're a chocolate/pb fan like me. Trust me, its good ... or at least good enough.

My advice for the day? Skip the movie and go create some dopeness of your own in the kitchen!

No comments: