Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Shout Out: Rhinebeck Edition


As previously mentioned, the husband and I were in Rhinebeck, New York recently and we had occasion to dine at Gigi Trattoria while there. I must say it was one of the more spectacular meals I've had in recent months. So much so that I was moved to write the restaurant, compliment them, and ask for the recipe of the pasta dish I had that night. I've eaten more restaurant meals - many of them "top tier" - than should ever be counted, but I've never once written to a chef/owner. I was *that* impressed.

I had the whole wheat fettuccine with fresh sugar snap peas, mushrooms and a sauce that included ground almonds. To. Die. For. Just an amazing dish - and that's saying something because you already know how I feel about whole wheat pasta. I'm delighted to report that I received a lovely note from the owner in response and that they have since sent me the recipe. I won't post it here, because that wouldn't be right, but I did want to give them a plug.

Gigi is owned by chef Laura Pensiero, who's background is impressive to say the least. She has a strong commitment to using local, sustainable foods and it is my pleasure to support those efforts. Laura was the culinary coordinator of the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Prevention and Wellness Center for a period of time, and that experience is reflected in the myriad of healthy and delicious offerings on Gigi's menu. To say that I wanted to order everything would not be an exaggeration.

The wait staff at Gigi could not have been nicer and the whole experience was quite simply a pleasure. My only regret is that this place is not in my neighborhood! If you're ever in or around Rhinebeck, do yourself (and your body) a favor and have a meal there.

No comments: