Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back in Business ... I Think ...


Looks like I'm back in business here. The connectivity gods have favored me today ... though for how long, who knows? I'll try and make the best of it while it lasts.

I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you about my brownie experience over the weekend. Last Friday I linked you to Altered Plates' recipe for Moore Beany Brownies and set off on my search for carob powder and Teeccino. Happily, I found both at Whole Foods - a.k.a. "Whole Paycheck." Yes, I paid dearly for them, but the results were worth it. I made Deb's version of the brownies on Friday night and they are spectacular!

Now, I know some of you will read the recipe and think I'm crazy for making brownies with beans ... and you might be right ... but I'm telling you that they are truly delicious. I substituted Ghirardelli's Bittersweet Chips for the carob chips, but other than that I followed her recipe exactly. Let me tell you, these brownies will not last long here in Divaworld. They are moist, dense and so rich in chocolate-y goodness! Even the husband can't get enough of them. If he hadn't seen me making them, I would not have let on about the beans ... and he'd have been none the wiser. This recipe is a keeper and I recommend it to all.

The other nice thing about the brownies is that they are SB friendly: there's no flour or sugar needed, I used agave nectar, and they can be counted as a "sweet treat" ... just don't over indulge.

I'll be putting on my baker's apron again today. Last night I finally picked up a copy of the much recommended Ellie Krieger's "The Food You Crave" and I can't wait to start exploring it. I'm attending a little soirée tomorrow night and need to bring a dessert. I'm torn between Ellie's triple chocolate cookies or the carrot cake cupcakes ... both with whole wheat flour. Stay tuned.

Whatever I bake today will likely not be 100% SB approved, but I'm bringing the dish to a party and I'll only have a little bite. Who knows, I may not even let on that my dessert offering is a healthy one. It will just be our little secret. ~wink~

So, what's your favorite thing to bake?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to bake brownies - the real deal which I feed to those around me. I have not really baked since being on the beach but will try the brownies with beans - I had seen a recipe before and thought hmmm intersting but had not gotten around to cooking it so it's great to have your input.

You'll have to let me know how you like the Ellie Krieger book - it's been my goto book for some time now, more so than the SB books I have. I love her cowboy steak rub - and I don't even really like steak that much but there's something about this rub - yum. I've also used it on pork chops.

Glad to see you back up and running again on the net!

Deb

Miss Caught Up said...

I love brownies! I'll have to check out the Moore Beany Brownies recipe since I've been on this baking kick.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Deb - I made the triple chocolate cookies from the Krieger book and they were outstanding! Not really Beachy ... so I won't be making them often, but really just so delish!

I can't wait to cook something else from the book next week!

Love those "baking kicks", miss caught up ... though my waistline doesn't! LOL

Anonymous said...

Diva, I am simultaneaously intrigued and freaked about the bean brownies! I wonder if I could pull a fast one on my family?!

What is "non-coffee"? Those International moments instant coffee drinks?

--J.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Jeanie - I'm simultaneously shocked and excited that you'd consider making the beanie brownies! LOL and j/k!

The "non-coffee" is the Teeccino powder listed in the ingredients of the recipe. Its an herbal "coffee substitute", made from a variety of dried fruits, nuts and herbs. Deb's recipe calls for the Hazelnut Teeccino powder, which I found at Whole Foods - but I believe she found hers in the health food section of her stop and shop.

If you can't find teeccino, I think you could use some regular instant coffee for flavor ... though the hazelnut is a nice touch.

I'll email you a link for the teeccino so you can see what the package looks like.